Sunday, August 7, 2011

Bucket List as of 08.07.11

After looking at this list again, it's becoming more daunting as summer comes to an end.  But I will continue to chip away at it regardless.  Although I've made a rather small dent in my list, the experiences I have taken away from them thus far cannot be put into words.  But I will try.


First up was driving up to Estes Park and hiking through Rocky Mountain National Park with my parents.  It was the first major park I've been to since living in Colorado.  The drive up to the park in itself was worth it.  It strikes me as one of those drives that you take when you want to clear your head.  Where its single lane up and back, winding around red rocks and trees, and scenic views that seem to go on forever-and for that short moment in time, whatever problems you may be having just seem a little less important. The experience was nothing short of absolutely beautiful, serene, and breath-taking.  The air was clean and fresh (and not humid).  We hiked through Bear Lake which was close to 5 miles by the time we were done.  There isn't much about this trip I would change. Aside from the every-once-in-a-while complaint from my mom trying to catch her breath, the only thing I wish I did differently was go at a different time of year.  Preferably off-season.  Reason being is I wanted to get some photography shots of wildlife.  But according to the tour guide who carted us up to the hiking trail, he already brought up a few hundred people to the same spot (it was only 11 am mind you).  With that said, I didn't see any wildlife, but what I did get at the end of the hike was much better.  The way the hike went was it was about 2.5 miles one way taking you around 3 different lakes.  Instead of looping back around, the trail just sort of...stopped.  Thank god it did.  Because with that stop, I got a second item crossed off my bucket list: Get an awesome photography shot.  See below.  I think the picture speaks for itself.




 The next day my parents and I went to Colorado Springs to take the Pikes Peak Cog Railway to the summit of the mountain.  Round trip it took about 3 hours and we spent about 45 minutes at the summit.  The ride up was incredible.  Not only did I learn random and entertaining facts about Pikes Peak (channeling my inner nerd) but the view was incredible.  Once we got to the top, not only was it 35 degrees and windy (didn't plan my wardrobe accordingly on that one) but it felt like something out of a dream-and not because of the "rocky mountain high" altitude adjustment...well maybe that was part of it.  But my goodness, when people say photos don't do it justice, this is most definitely one of those situations.  Having a 360 degree view at 14,000 feet is nothing short of perfection.  Those 45 minutes at the top were incredible because at the time, I thought of nothing and worried about nothing-it was glorious.  It felt weird going back to reality after that.  Like I said, the photos can't even compare to what it actually felt like, but I need to share them.




Lastly, I went to Roxborough State Park with the roomie.  It was a nice short drive from my apartment-about 20 minutes.  Pretty amazing to think that a place this beautiful is so close to where I live.  It reminds me to not take where I live for granted-and that I'm truly fortunate to be living here with such great friends and support.  Mary and I went on about a 4 mile hike- we didn't talk much, but we didn't have to.  It was one of those experiences where we didn't do this to talk about anything in particular.  We did it to just spend time together.  And it's hard to believe I could be any closer to her, but spending that time with her made me value my friendship with her even more.  Picture of Roxborough State Park below.  Hopefully I have another post this coming weekend :)






  • Find at least 5 3 new trails to hike
  • Climb a 14er
  • See the top of Pikes Peak
  • Run the Incline at Manitou Springs  
  • See the Royal Gorge  
  • Go geocaching  
  • Go to an outdoor concert  
  • Go white water rafting
  • Visit a hot spring
  • Go to the Sand Dunes National Park and Four Corners  
  • Get an awesome photography shot  
  • Spend the day on a lake
  • Learn to grill, and be good at it


No comments:

Post a Comment