Friday, June 18, 2010

More words of encouragement

So here I am already skipping several consecutive days of blogging (shame on me). I should probably change my blog subtitle to "A whenever I feel like writing" blog. I'm sure once my life becomes more interesting, I'll have more valuable things to write about. I skipped the next day after my first post because I had a lot of news and didn't want to jinx myself. But since it has passed, I guess I can discuss it now.

Big news, I had a major job interview on Tuesday for a fantastic company and an amazing opportunity. It went well considering it was a panel interview in front of three men. It is an incredibly competitive position, so I am most definitely not getting my hopes up about getting that job. But after having dinner with my dad tonight over pizza and an entire bottle of Merlot, I had some sort of mini epiphany. For those of you who empathize with my current life situation you should pay attention from this point on...

I have found myself viewing my life in a "glass half empty" sort of perspective. After talking to my dad, I realized I really should start to shape my life around the good things that I do have. I am a good daughter, sister, best friend. I am smart, and determined, and confident in what I am capable of accomplishing. Just because I'm having trouble finding a job, does not mean that I am not good enough- it means that I haven't found that perfect fit for me. I have now taken it upon myself to expand my horizons, especially in the sense of my career path. I can't let my fears keep me from finding an amazing job because when it comes down to it, it's up to me to make an excellent career for myself. I neglected to read a book that my mom's best friend gave me for my birthday one year. I opened it today. It's called Half Full: Meditations on Hope, Optimism, and the Things that Matter. This is just from one page that really touched me.

"Here it is , in a nutshell. We all have a choice. See the world how you want. There are tons of opportunities and heaps of difficulties in everyone's life. This is unchangeable and real given. So here's where your wonderful perspective comes in. See a possibility- a new job path, a blooming relationship- and what happens? Do you immediately immerse yourself in thoughts of what could go wrong? Do you rein in your desires because you're afraid of getting hurt?

Now look at the difficulties- face them head-on. What do you see? Toil and frustration without compensation? Or can you see steps, even painful ones, on the path to a goal? Things worth accomplishing are difficult, and the course of true love never did run smooth. No news here. So why not take another look and see the opportunities hiding in the cracks of every difficulty, and acknowledge the difficulties inherent in any opportunity?"

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I NEVER blog every day. Well, I should say hardly ever. Sometimes I go days and days without writing, and then other times I can stop.

    I'm so glad you are starting to "see the opportunities hiding in the cracks of difficulty". It's a hard thing to do, especially when it feels like you have gotten burned too many times. I definitely find myself holding my breath and waiting for the bad things to happen whenever life just seems too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete